As you know, I often get inspiration and ideas for my blog posts from my kids. We can learn so much from those who are hungry for knowledge, excited for every moment ahead and not (yet) beaten down by life’s events.
But, today, I thought I’d share some thoughts on the unsung hero of my family – Jasmine, our 6-year old Golden Retriever. (If you were thinking I was going to say my wife – she is a hero in the family, but not quite so unsung.)
After traveling with the family, without Jasmine, over school vacation last week, I realized the positive (and often soothing) impact she can have on all of us. And, as I picked her from the boarding facility on Sunday evening, I couldn’t help but reflect upon why she’s so special:
- Always happy to see you – The moment she saw me, after coming out from the back of the boarding facility, she was jumping up and down, wagging her tail hysterically and, I swear, she had a big smile on her face. (I almost remember a day when my kids would do the same).
- A great listener – On the way home, I told her about our trip and asked about her vacation from us as well. (Yes, I talk to my dog.) She’s not only a great listener, but she doesn’t need (or expect) me to listen back. How nice is that!?
- Satisfied by the simplest things – Upon getting home, she ran over to her empty food bowl and looked up at me with her kind, yet begging, eyes. With three scoops, she was as happy as she was when I picked her up earlier. All it took this time was a simple meal (no need to cook or clean up, no complaining about what’s for dinner, etc.). Aaahhhhhh.
- Unconditional love, acceptance and understanding – As soon as the kids realized Jasmine was home, they ran into the kitchen to assault her with hugs, kisses and screams of joy. While the commotion caused my wife and I to go to another room, Jasmine accepted it with grace – and even seemed to enjoy it.
- Endless kisses – Perhaps it is because I have the taste or smell of food on my hands and clothes. But, regardless of the reason, it sure can be nice to have someone who just wants to kiss you. (Except when it is slobbery and/or she goes for the lips).
While we cannot expect any human to have these traits (it could get a bit boring), I realize how nice it is to have such a loyal companion. Regardless of what life throws at me, I know I can always count on Jasmine to help me through it. So, whether you’re a dog person, cat person, fish person, Iguana person or something else – I encourage you to stop and consider how much we get from these amazing and accepting creatures.
Tonight, I’ll be sure to bring Jasmine home an extra treat. Perhaps you can do the same for the unsung companion in your life.
Small Army | Finn Partners